If you love pizza and you want to know about how to make delicious California pizza then you should read this article. Before going into any further detail let us tell you something important about what actually California style pizza is?
What is California Style Pizza?
California Style Pizza also is known as Gourmet Pizza or California Pizza and it is single-serving pizza from California cuisine cooking style that combines New York and Italian thin with crust and this is started with Chef Ed Ladou and Alice Waters in California. It’s served in different restaurants in California. Some restaurants names are such as California Pizza Kitchen, Extreme Pizza and Sammy’s Woodfired Pizza are major franchises or California Style pizza.
History of California Pizza:
California pizza was started by Ed Ladou and Alice Waters simultaneously in 1980. Ed Ladou was working as a pizza chef in a restaurant in San Francisco’s and Alice Waters was working as a pizza chef in Berkeley, California.
In 1970s Ladou learned pizza making. He was New York-style pizzeria in California then he started to experiment with goat cheese and truffles in their wood-burning oven and serve his experience to guest and at one table he serves off-menu experience involving red pepper, pate, ricotta, and mustard.
In 1980 Alice Water and his head chef Jeremiah Tower had invented California Cuisine present with local ingredient flavors and the combination of French and Italian techniques.
In 1980 and 1981 Wolfgang was opening the restaurant to make him famous in West Hollywood, California. Ladou was his head pizza chef. Ladou experienced and developed more than 255 pizza concepts using ingredients such as baby zucchini flowers, roe, and scallops. His famous invention was Jewish pizza and he first cooked pizza dough then topped with capers, dill, and smoked salmon. Using infused olive oil, flavored dough, chill oil and baby vegetables was another invention.
Ladou helped in starting a new restaurant concept California Pizza Kitchen in 1985. The new restaurants invent the concept of open kitchens around wood-burning pizza ovens. Simple ingredients are used for comfort food toppings. One month before opening new restaurant Ladou designed and cooked an entire menu and invent barbecue chicken pizza and helped in develop pizza menus.
California Pizza Recipe:
For Pizza Dough:
- 2 cup bread flours
- 1/2 Tablespoons sugar.
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher salts.
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast.
- 3 tablespoons olive oils.
- 3 cups of warm water.
- Take salt, sugar, flour, and yeast in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse 4 to 5 times. Add olive oil and yeast process it for 20 to 30-second form ball.
- Take dough to knead twice by hand smooth until the ball is formed. Place it in the refrigerator for one day in the freezer bag.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator in two hours before baking. Shape into ball and flour well and place into a bowl. Place it at room temperature until double in volume.
- Sprinkle the wooden pizza peel. Dust the work surface with bread flour and pull of pizza.
Note: We have a big list of all kind of Pizza Recipes. Click here.
BBQ Chicken California Pizza Recipe:
- Pizza Dough
- 285 g Chicken Boneless Cubed(boiled)
- 1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/3 c BBQ Sauce
- 2/1 Tablespoons Dry Smoked cheese
- 3 c Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/5 Sliced, Red Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped, Fresh Cilantro
- Cooked the chicken in a large frying pan in olive oil for 6 to 7 minutes over medium heat then place it in the refrigerator for chilled. When it’s chilled then mix it with 2/1 tablespoons BBQ sauce and place it in the refrigerator.
- Before cooking pizza preheated the pizza peel for 550°F.
- Stretch the pizza dough from the center with fingers. Stretch it to 10 to the 14-inch circle and place it into pizza peel.
- Apply ¼ cup BBQ sauce over the surface of pizza dough. Sprinkle the ½ tablespoons dry smoked cheese and then apply 3 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Take the half chicken (18 to 20 pieces) apply over the cheese and place the red onion (19 to 20 pieces) over the surface. Sprinkle ¼ cup mozzarella over the top surface.
- Transfer it for baking to preheated peel about 550°F and bake it for 8 to 10 minutes it depends on the peel. When pizza cheese is melted and crust is golden then it is ready to serve and enjoy it.
“I Hope you would enjoy our article if you do please leave a comment. If you like to know more about the food you can search for it on our site. Here is one of our recommendation for you to read. It is about New York Style Pizza. Thanks a lot.”