Are You here because you are a food lover and love Nigiri Sushi? If you are, then this article will blow your mind and you’ll be eating Nigiri Sushi tonight.
Facts and Origine of Nigiri Sushi
Nigiri is a type of sushi which is severed raw or cooked. Unlike maki, maki is served rolled and on other hands, nigari served a thin slice of raw or cooked fish or meat layered on the top of a mound of vinegary rice.
Nigiri means to squeeze or to grab something in Japan. Typically Nigiri is a layer of fish on the top of rice, A small amount of wasabi place between vinegary rice and fish. Some people like it to eat it a small strip of toasted seaweed.
In Japanese language nigari translated to “Two fingers” which refers to the amount of rice which you can hold in your two fingers.
The important fact about nigari sushi is that nigiri sushi is not sashimi because Nigiri is not always raw fish and nigari is not always fish.
Other types of nigiri can be served seasoned with just salt or some sesame seeds and without any nori.
Recipe for Nigiri Sushi
Sushi is originally a nigari style, which is sliced fish on the top of rice.
Learning how to make nigiri sushi is like sinning on the stage. The main part of the sushi making process, it is also a kind of work of art and every chef can be an artist while arrange and decorating the ingredients.
There a couple of different style of how to make a nigiri style sushi but we’ll learn the basic of how to make a nigiri sushi
- First of all, dip your hand in vinegar water to make it wet. (Having wet hands prevent the rice from sticking to your hands.)
- Prepper sushi rice (The best time to use is one hour after the rice is cooked.)
- Take a small amount of sushi rice.
- Roll and squeeze it together, until its firm into a log size rectangular. (The point of not to squeeze too tight.)
- Now place the fish on the root of your fingers. (Using your thumb to lightly hold of the top of the fish.)
- If you want to add some wasabi. Put some wasabi on the fish. (Optional)
- Now place the sushi rice which you rolled on to the fish.
- Bend the fingers to cover the fish and rice altogether.
- Now use your index finger and thumb on your right hand and press the rice from top to bottom.
- Then Press your whole index finger to hold on the log.
- Now use your left hand to push and turn over the fish and rice. (Bring them on the first finger joints.)
- Let the fish nicely cover the rice by shaping the nigari with your right fingers.
- Keep those fingers on nigari to hold and place it on a plate.
- Use your left hand to press it on the plate to make it stable. (lightly)
Your nigari sushi is ready to eat.
- 3 1/3 cups short-grain sushi rice, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 5 1/3 tablespoons sushi vinegar
- 5 ounces sushi-grade tuna or salmon
- Salt as per taste
Nigiri sushi nutritional information
|Total Fat||9 g||Potassium||722 mg|
|Saturated||0 g||Total Carbs||76 g|
|Polyunsaturated||0 g||Dietary Fiber||1 g|
|Monounsaturated||0 g||Sugars||0 g|
|Trans||0 g||Protein||37 g|
What we get out of this Information?
Nigiri sushi is not like other sushi which served rolled but nigiri sushi served with a raw fish on the top on rice. In some places, it served with wasabi. The process of making nigiri sushi is a delegated one. But the taste is more satisfying. Even though it originally served with raw fish but it can be served with cooked fish.